Owning a pet can bring immeasurable joy to your home. A lot goes into pet ownership, lots of patience, training, and cleaning. Here are five simple cleaning tips to keep your home looking, smelling, and feeling clean.
- Invest in a high-quality vacuum. Look for one that is specialized in removing pet fur. Vacuums that come with an assortment of cleaning attachments will make cleaning your home effortless and will save you so much time.
- In the event that you don’t have time to vacuum your upholstered furniture, use a few pieces of duct tape to remove pet fur. The thicker adhesive will grab up the hairs better than a lint roller. You can roll the tape around your hand or something round with the sticky part facing out. Glide your hand or makeshift roller over the furniture to remove the fur.
- Clean hard surfaces and floors with castile soap. The soap is antibacterial and adds a great scent to your home without the harsh chemicals. Keep a spray bottle with a capful of soap in water to clean counters, shelves, and other surfaces in your home. Castile soap cleans deep without leaving a residue on countertops or tiles or harming wood floors. It is great for pet owners, parents, and those with nasal sensitivities.
- Line cat litter boxes with a plastic liner or a garbage bag for easier cleanup. This trick will cut litter box cleaning time to about a minute. You will never have to scoop or try to pour the used litter into a garbage bag without spilling any on the floor (multiple cat owners know this struggle). Since litter, urine, or feces never touches the box, you won’t have to wipe down, rinse, or wash out the litter box. This will also prevent having to replace it as often.
- Keep a cleaning station near your door to keep your dog from tracking in dirt from outside. You can store baby wipes, special pet bathing wipes, or simply a washcloth and spray bottle with some water and pet shampoo at the entrance of your home. There are waterless shampoos designed specifically for quick pet cleanups. Train your pup to stay in the doorway for a wipe-down. This can be especially handy during allergy season by removing pollen from their coats before they get on any furniture.
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year. A carpet cleaning service that specializes in pet odor removal can get the deep-down dirt and odor that you might not be able to reach.
Now that you have these tips under your belt, you can breathe easy and not stress about maintaining a clean home.